Drinking water, most people know that water is good for you, but why is that so?
Benefits of drinking water
- More beautiful skin
The toxins in your body ensure that your skin becomes restless, dry and impure. By drinking a lot of water the toxins will be removed faster and you will soon be able to enjoy radiant skin.
- Keep your fluid balance up to standard
Water is an important part of your body. It regulates the transport of nutrients but also helps to digest food, for example. So drink enough water so that your body can function normally and your fluid balance remains stable.
- Good for your brain
Almost 80% of your brain consists of water so you have to supplement this well. If your fluid balance is up to arrow you can concentrate better and you do better work.
- Nice combination: Spa with fruit Reduces hunger
Do you often experience a feeling of hunger? First, try to drink 2 glasses of water and then wait a while. Your body is often confused, you are not hungry but you are thirsty!
- Helps you lose weight
Water gives you a full feeling. So you eat less if you drink enough and you have no annoying hunger. Also removed water wastes that linger in your fat cells. This way you can easily lose some weight!
- Replaces soft drinks and other sugary drinks
This complements the previous point well. If you drink a lot of water, you also drink fewer sugary drinks such as cola or fruit juices. Because of these drinks, you gain a lot, that is because of all sugars and other bad added substances.
- Less tired
If you drink too little water you can immediately experience a feeling of tiredness. This happens when you have 2% too little water in your body and then your energy level immediately goes down by 20%. So an extra glass per day and you immediately feel more energetic!
- Cleanses your body and helps organs
Water removes waste so drinking lots of water helps you during a detox. The kidneys are very important in the detoxification process. They need enough water to clean your body and to remove all waste to your bladder so that they eventually leave your body.
- Smaller chance of heart attack
Several studies have shown that drinking water reduces the risk of a heart attack. People who drink at least 5 glasses of water per day are 40% less likely to have a heart attack than people who drink 2 glasses per day.
How much water to drink per day
Our body consists of 70% water and our blood even around 90% just like our brains. So you have to drink enough so that you don’t dry out. It depends on how much you have to drink per person. A 1.90m man needs more fluid compared to a 1.70m woman. For women the recommended daily amount of water is around 2 liters per day and for men around 3 liters.
There are some exceptions when you have to drink more than this average. Think of athletes or people who do physical heavy work every day. If you are so busy moving, it makes sense that you need more water because you will dry out faster. Hot summer days are also an exception. You then perspire worse so lose more moisture than normal. That is why it is important to pay close attention to how much water you drink.
When do you have a lack of fluid?
If you just drink enough water, you cannot get a shortage of water quickly. But especially during hot days it can occur faster because you perspire more and forget that. If you do not pay attention to drinking enough water you can quickly get a shortage of water.
You can very well notice your body when you get too little fluid. You may then experience the following symptoms:
- Dry mouth
If you drink too little water, your body can dry out. This happens when you already have 2% too little water in your body! You can suffer from breathing problems but you can even faint. In the heat it often happens that people faint due to the combination of heat and too little drinking.
It is not harmful for the rest, unless you drink too much water in a short period. Your blood is diluted too quickly and your body is not used to that. Acutely too much water in your body is also called water poisoning. So make sure that you drink at regular times throughout the day.
Tips for drinking more water
Thanks to these easily applicable tips, you can never drink too little water and keep it out all summer!
- Nice your water! Find a rhythm. You don’t just drink 2 to 3 liters of water. Make sure you spread the drink so for example 2 glasses in the morning, a glass with every meal and in the evening also some glasses of water.
- Prepare the water you need to drink. This way you can see how much you still have to drink and you can easily keep up.
- If you know that you do not pay much attention to drinking water, you can also activate a reminder on your phone. That way you will never have a shortage!
- Water is also in other products such as watermelon. If you are tired of all that water, look for the moisture in something else.
- Make sure you always have a bottle of water with you. This way you can refill it every time.
- Keep track of how much you have already drunk. Nowadays there are handy apps that you can use to keep up with this.
- Throw 2 or 3 ice cubes in your drink. This way you get some extra water without you realizing it.
- You can also add some extra water to your food.
- If you are tired of normal water, you can also make water kefir or brighten up your water with fruit.
Tap water, filters or bottles?
Can you just keep drinking tap water or is spring water a better idea or is it an idea to purchase a water filter?
The Netherlands is a country of many rules and laws, so it also has a drinking water decision, which states what our drinking water must meet. In short, it says roughly that it can contain a maximum percentage of chemicals and bacteria, including lead, copper, fluoride, and nitrate. In addition, it must look clean and have no nasty aftertaste and must not contain any harmful substances for the environment.
All of this is therefore taken into account and that is why we can state that our tap water is pure. There is a difference in taste on the water in different parts of the country, but that is due to the hardness.
If you have a low resistance, are you pregnant or ill then you can use the best-filtered water? But of course also if you want to keep an eye on what you get. It will not be the first time that we do not know exactly what is going into something and that you will find out after years (just think of the light products and the trans fats).
Reasons to filter your water can be:
- Taste, filtered water tastes softer
- Shit, there still seem to be a lot of medicine remains in our water that can bother you
- Calcium, filtered water reduces calcium in your body
There are several methods for this from cheap to very many euros, that, of course, depends on your goal and your wallet. These are different options:
- Bottled spring water, make sure it is real spring water!
- An Alka Stick, with this you can clean and optimize your water by the way
- A water filter jug, an economical solution but less powerful in operation than the following 2 solutions
- A filter on your tap
I’m curious about how you drink your water. Just out of the tap or maybe one of the options above?